[et_pb_section admin_label=”Section” fullwidth=”on” specialty=”off” transparent_background=”off” allow_player_pause=”off” inner_shadow=”off” parallax=”off” parallax_method=”off” make_fullwidth=”off” use_custom_width=”off” width_unit=”on” make_equal=”off” use_custom_gutter=”off”][et_pb_fullwidth_header admin_label=”Fullwidth Header” title=”Essential Beliefs” background_layout=”dark” text_orientation=”center” header_fullscreen=”off” header_scroll_down=”off” background_url=”http://everynationfaithcity.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/water.jpg” parallax=”off” parallax_method=”off” content_orientation=”center” image_orientation=”center” custom_button_one=”off” button_one_letter_spacing=”0″ button_one_use_icon=”default” button_one_icon_placement=”right” button_one_on_hover=”on” button_one_letter_spacing_hover=”0″ custom_button_two=”off” button_two_letter_spacing=”0″ button_two_use_icon=”default” button_two_icon_placement=”right” button_two_on_hover=”on” button_two_letter_spacing_hover=”0″ background_overlay_color=”rgba(66,63,62,0.52)” title_font=”|||on|” title_font_size=”62px” button_one_border_radius=”0″ button_two_border_radius=”0″] [/et_pb_fullwidth_header][/et_pb_section][et_pb_section admin_label=”section”][et_pb_row admin_label=”row”][et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_text admin_label=”Text” background_layout=”light” text_orientation=”left” use_border_color=”off” border_color=”#ffffff” border_style=”solid”]
1. THE BIBLE
The Scriptures are God’s divinely inspired words and therefore are our sole authority for life.
2 Timothy 3:16 – All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.
The Bible, as our sole authority guides us on what biblical practices we should exhibit:
Water Baptism is an important step of obedience following salvation. It is an opportunity for a Christian to publicly profess their faith in Christ.
Acts 2:38 – Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptised in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Communion is a practice observed throughout the life of a Christian. It is when we take time to remember Jesus Christ and all He has done for us in His life, death, and resurrection.
1 Corinthians 11:23-24 – For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread; and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “Take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me.”
Biblical Marriage is a covenant relationship between God, one man and one woman. The Scriptures limit human sexual behaviour to a marital relationship between a man and a woman, which is the only biblically accepted marriage relationship.
Genesis 2:24 – Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.
Giving – Committed believers tithe their income in a way of honouring God. We recognise that giving the first 10% of our income is the biblical standard of giving.
Malachi 3:10 – Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house, and try Me now in this,” Says the LORD of hosts, “If I will not open for you the windows of heaven And pour out for you such blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it.
Proverbs 3:9 – Honour the LORD with your possessions, And with the first fruits of all your increase.
2. THE TRINITY
There is one God (Deuteronomy 6:4) who co-exists in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The Trinity is equal in authority and nature, but they fulfil different roles.
Genesis 1:26 – Then God said, “Let us make man in our image.”
2 Corinthians 13:14 – The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all. Amen.
Matthew 28:19 – Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
God has already done His part to restore our relationship to Him. He took the initiative. Because of Jesus’ death and resurrection, salvation is offered to all who by faith accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour.
John 3:16 – For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
Romans 10:9-10 – If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
4. THE HOLY SPIRIT
Every believer is in-dwelt by the Holy Spirit at conversion. Every believer can also live a Spirit-filled and Spirit-empowered life. We believe all the gifts of the Holy Spirit are in operation in the church today through the lives of believers.
John 14:16-17 – And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. Acts 1:8 – But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.
1 Corinthians 12:4-7 – There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all.
STATEMENT OF FAITH
- We believe that the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments in their original writing are fully inspired by God and accept them as the supreme and final authority for faith and life.
- We believe that in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments, God has revealed Himself and given us an authoritative disclosure of His character and will.
- We believe in the sovereignty of the one God, eternally existing in three Persons – Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that human beings, though created in the image of God, are sinful and guilty and lost without Christ, and that this truth is a necessary preliminary to the Gospel.
- We believe that Jesus Christ, as begotten by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary, is true God and true man.
- We believe that Jesus Christ, as God incarnate, is unique and sinless.
- We believe that on the cross Jesus Christ became sin for us, was judged by God and died in our place.
- We believe in the bodily resurrection of the Lord Jesus, His ascension into Heaven, and His present ministry as our High Priest and advocate with the Father.
- We believe that the Jesus of history and the Christ of Glory are the same Person.
- We believe, because of the substitutionary sacrifice of Jesus Christ, that God freely forgives those who are brought to repentance and faith in His Son.
- We believe that all who are justified by the grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ are born again of the Holy Spirit and thereby become children of God.
- We believe (i) in the baptism of the Holy Spirit, by which believers are empowered and equipped for service, (ii) in the gifts and in the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, and (iii) in the God-given ministries of the Apostle, Prophet, Evangelist, Pastor and Teacher.
- We believe in the resurrection both of the just and the unjust, the eternal blessedness of the redeemed, and the eternal damnation of those who have rejected God’s offer of salvation in Jesus Christ.
- We believe that the one true and universal Church consists of those who have been redeemed by Jesus Christ and regenerated by the Holy Spirit; that the local church should be the expression of the one true and universal Church and therefore that the new birth and personal confession of faith in Christ are essentials of Church membership.
- We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ appointed the two sacraments of baptism in water and the Lord’s supper, to be observed as acts of obedience and as perpetual witnesses to the Christian faith; that baptism is the immersion of the believer in water as confession of identification with Christ in His burial and resurrection, and that the Lord’s Supper is the partaking of the emblems, which symbolise the broken body and shed blood of Christ, in remembrance of His sacrificial death until He comes.
- We believe in the personal and visible return of the Lord Jesus Christ in power and glory to judge the living and the dead.
- We believe that the biblical Gospel is God’s enduring message to our world and we determine to defend, proclaim and embody it.
- We believe that God is calling the whole Church to take the whole Gospel to the whole world, and so with each generation we resolve to give ourselves to this task with fresh determination in fulfilment of the Great Commission. We long to see all Christians trained for this task.
- We believe that other religions and ideologies are not alternative paths to God and that human spirituality, if unredeemed by Christ, does not lead to God but to judgment and damnation, for Christ is the only way.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit’s witness to Christ is indispensable to evangelism and that without His supernatural work neither new birth nor new life is possible.
- We believe that the gifts of the Spirit are distributed to all God’s people and that the partnership of men and women in evangelism and ministry must be welcomed for common good.
- We believe that spiritual warfare demands spiritual weapons and that we must both preach the Word in the power of the Spirit and pray constantly in order that we may enter into Christ’s victory over the principalities and the powers of evil.
- We believe that we must turn outward to our local community in evangelistic witness and in compassionate service.
- We believe that our proclamation of the Gospel must be exemplified in a life of holiness and love, otherwise our testimony loses credibility.
- We believe that we must demonstrate God’s love visibly by caring for those who are deprived of justice, dignity, food and shelter.
- We believe that the proclamation of God’s Kingdom of justice and peace demands the denunciation of all injustice and oppression, both personal and structural, and we will not shrink from this prophetic witness.
- We believe that we who claim to be members of the Body of Christ must transcend within our fellowship the barriers of race, gender and class.
- We believe that it is our duty to study the society in which we live in order to understand its structures, values and needs, and to develop appropriate strategies for evangelism, missions and prophetic witness.
- We believe that there is an urgent need for us to engage in evangelism and social action in co-operation with other churches, mission agencies and Christian organisations, and we repudiate competition.
- We affirm our solidarity with those who suffer for the Gospel, and will both to prepare ourselves for the same possibility, and to work for religious and political freedom everywhere.